Felicity (#22)


Felicity has become one of the patterns I'm officially knitting for Christmas presents - a great hat, worked up fast and easy, and with just a few modifications.  

Pattern: Felicity, by Wanett Clyde.  
Yarn: Patons Worsted in a pink/brown variegated, donated by one of the aunts
Needles: US size 5 (3.75 mm) and US size 7 (4.5 mm) 16" circulars, and US size 7 (4.5 mm) DPNs.  

Notes:

While most people on Ravelry talk about needing a few mods to knit this hat up to their satisfaction, I made this Felicity with almost none, to see how the pattern worked up as written. I found that using Patons, which is a thicker worsted, made this hat knit up super thick and squishy, which is perfect for a charity donation hat. I can understand why most people size up to size 6/8 needles, however, and in the future will be doing just that I think.

My only complaint? That I used variegated yarn that pooled strangely through the increases. Need an example? You can see the pink and brown pooling on the side of the hat, which make it look like the hat sits a ton funnier on my head than it actually does. I think this hat is best suited to solid yarn, or yarn with slight hand-dyed variations at the most. Using a variegated yarn of this nature only emphasizes a part of the hat I think doesn't need as much emphasis as it's being given here. But that's not so much a pattern issue as a yarn-selection issue, now is it?! In the future I'll use Paton's again for this hat without reservation, although I'll be dipping into my solid-yarn stash for sure!

Comments

Popular Posts