Helical (#36)

Jan 22, 2010

I was lucky that while my mom was in town last weekend, she willingly modeled a few hats for me! You got to see her a bit in shots for the Helping Haiti hat pattern, and now she's lending her cranium to the Helical hat pattern.  

Pattern: Helical, from Knitter's Magazine 97 (winter 2010) - Ravelry link  
Yarn: leftover Patons yarn from a few other hats
Needles: US size 6 (4.0 mm) and US size 7 (4.5 mm) 16" circs and DPNs  

Notes:

This is the first time I've said this in 36 hats, but I did not enjoy making this hat. First, the pattern is supposed to give no lines where the colors change, but I've got pretty obvious lines - I had to be super careful about how I photographed the hat so that the lines wouldn't show. Plus, the top of the hat is shaped super weird, not at all fitted like the photos in the magazine. And add to this the frustration of switching colors not just once a row, but four times a row, and I was ready to throw in the towel on this hat not even halfway through.

And finally? There's that little hole, right in the front on the only part where you can't see a huge jag of color change. The hole is my own fault, a yarn over that wasn't supposed to be, but it's still the icing on the cake.

If I were to make this hat again, I'd forgo the instructions to do a color switch four times a row, and only do one a row, carrying up the yarn so that you can't see the transition as bad. Or something. {I feel really bad talking smack about someone else's pattern, by the way. Someone put their time, effort, blood, sweat, and tears into this, and I feel like crap berating it. But it was really an unpleasant experience.}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design