Jan 13, 2010

Hermione (hat #32)


It might have warmed up a bit around here, but that doesn't mean I'm loving winter any more than I ever have! It's a good thing I've got all these wonderful woolen hats laying around to keep me warm!

Pattern: Hermione's Cable & Eyelet Hat by Jackie Lauseng {free pattern!}
Needles: US size 6 (4.0 mm) 16" circs and DPNs
Yarn: Patons Worsted Wool in "That's Pink"

Notes:

I'm a bit obsessed with the Harry Potter movies, so I jumped when I saw this pattern. I knew I'd buy it if needed, so the fact that it is free? A super huge bonus. I didn't have any grey Patons available, so I grabbed a pretty pink {donated from Aunt Becky!} and got busy.

The pattern works up wonderfully, although I'd make the following adjustments if I were to knit it again: I'd make the ribbing only 10 rows long, instead of 16, and I'd then work the number of cables for the adult size hat - here I've worked the number for a kid's sized hat because the ribbing was much larger than I'd thought it would be, and the hat was getting rather long.

As stated at the end of the pattern, the top of the hat isn't like the one in the movie - Hermione's hat is obviously sewn up at the top, as it was most likely machine-made. Jackie gives suggestions for squaring off the top more, but I just did regular decreases - I like the look of it, so I'm not concerned that it isn't an exact replica. Now if only my gloves {sadly, not handmade} had matched more in the photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment