The Story: Cathy Mann

Apr 8, 2010
Cathy In an effort to recognize I am not alone in my desire to cover the world in hand-knits, I’m sharing the stories of fellow crafters who are using their knitting for good.

I’ve found that as I engage other knitters in conversation, it is rare that a knitter isn’t actively engaged in making the space around them kinder, more peaceful and happier using their yarn and needles. By sharing our stories, we are building a narrative of world-change.

1. Let us know a bit more about you! I am a 47 yr old wife/mom I was born in Council Bluffs, IA and have never lived anywhere else. I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 28 years. We have 2 daughters our oldest is 22 years old and is married to a wonderful man, she will student teach in the fall. Our baby is in the 8th grade and she is my knitting partner.

We were taught to knit in the summer of 2009, we go a resort in Minnesota and the owner’s wife purchased the local knitting shop. One rainy afternoon she suggested we come in to learn to knit. We are such newbies the only needles we have are #8 bamboo, we have made some dish cloths and some scarves. I got a couple of knitting books for Christmas but we are in awe of circular needles! When I read the article about you in the Herald I was just so impressed.

4. What would be your knitting dream? I am hoping to learn more as I go, I would love to knit items for members of my family (my husband was the recipient of my first scarf!) But to make items for the next generation of our family would be wonderful. I think it would be pretty cool if and when I make hats to be able to donate them to an organization.

6. Who are some of your knitting influencers? You! and my friend who had the patience to teach this old dog a new trick

7. What is the legacy you want to leave? It would be wonderful if my daughters/grandchildren (to be) would have things that I made. I had aunts that I still have/use items that they made for me for wedding gifts.
I love sitting down and knitting, I find it calming and relaxing (unless I make a mistake!) I have never been a crafty person so for me to have learned this I am so happy to say that I knit no matter how basic.

+ + + + +

This week's profile is special because Cathy won a Newsletter contest! She will be helping me design a hat for the One Hundred Hats project - she'll work with me on color choice as well as pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design