May 14, 2010

Knitting Tip: Getting Rid Of Jag

Over the next few weeks I’ll be sharing some posts from my personal blog, A Devine Life. This is one of them, originally posted on July 28, 2009.

+ + + + +

Cast on last night for a charity hat, and discovered the single greatest tip known to man.
Andrea of String In Motion has freely offered her pattern for the Hurricane Hat (an amazing pattern so far, by the way) and her instructions for casting on are genius.

“Cast on 81 sts in the knitted on cast on method. Join in the round, knitting first & last stitch together to eliminate jag. Total 80 sts.”

What?!?!? you mean if I cast on one more than called for in the pattern, and then slip the first stitch to the right needle, and knit those two stitches together (first and last) to join in the round, that annoying little jag won’t be there?! It can’t be!

And so I tried it. And lo, the angels came down and sang, and I have no jag on this hat.

The hat isn’t done yet, but I’ll definitely share pictures when it is. And this technique? This “jag-less” amazingness? I’ll be using it on EVERYTHING from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment