Jun 10, 2010

Beginning A Baby Blanket

Last night I finally found a good crochet pattern for a blanket and cast on. Several months ago, a family friend found out her dear friend is pregnant with twins. Being the family we are, my aunt is hosting a baby shower for the mom-to-be – and being that we she is a crafter like me, she wanted to make baby blankets for the arriving twins. TWINS!

One boy and one girl, she spent quality time in the yarn section of her local craft store, and then got stymied. Not only would she have to come up with a pattern that would work well for both a boy and a girl, she realized she only had six weeks to make both blankets!

Lucky for my aunt, we work together – so when she brought the three blue skeins of yarn to me and asked if I could help, I willingly agreed. We were going to knit the blankets, but aunt is a beginner knitter, and it would have taken far too long for her to knit an entire blanket.

Crochet selected, I spent some time online last night searching for a pattern. I had a few criteria said pattern needed to fill:
  • It needed to be crochet

  • It needed to work for both a boy and a girl

  • It needed to be easy enough either one of us could work it, but not so easy that we’d get bored with it, or it wouldn’t look adorable when done.

  • It needed to be freely available.
Thank goodness for Ravelry! All I had to do was key in “blanket” and “crochet” into their pattern search feature, and I was presented with hundreds of options! Within minutes I’d found the Shell Stitch Blanket and I was ready to swatch.

I’m not normally a swatch-maker, but in this case the blanket was made using super thick yarn, and we had super thin sportweight yarn, so I wanted to make sure the pattern would look good, and that I could figure out how to size it up.

Easy-peasy as it turns out – for those interested, I am using a size H hook and chained 74 rather than 36 to get a baby blanket-sized strip.

After the set-up row, you only have to remember two rows – and the only difference in those two rows is where you start the stitch pattern. After two repeats of the two rows, I no longer need the pattern in front of me!

I’m excited to bring this with me in the car when we head out this weekend to ride roller coasters – it’s the perfect car project, and with the short drive we’ll be making I don’t want to have to bring along a pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment