Aug 25, 2010

Minimalism and Passion: Brooks Palmer

brookspalmer.pngAlmost every Wednesday I post short interviews with passionate people, digging into their thoughts on minimalism.

As I move towards a minimalist lifestyle, I’ve found I learn more from listening to others share their unique journeys than I have from books and impersonal articles. Everyone has their own take on minimalism, and in hearing those stories I find myself more open to exploring my own minimalist journey.

Today's interview is with Brooks Palmer, the man behind the Clutter Busting Blog and the book Clutter Busting. I've been reading Brooks' blog for many months now, and have learned a lot about how people connect their clutter with their emotions, and how we all need to de-clutter our inner lives in order to best de-clutter our outer lives.

MK: How did your passions inspire or move you towards minimalism?

BP: I found that I think better when there's less stuff around me. Plus I really like open space. I love the feeling of being outdoors in my home. It makes my mind and body relax. Plus it inspires me with new helpful creative ideas.

MK: Did you find anything change or shift with your passion once you began your minimalist journey?

BP: I found that new things and opportunities come to me out of nowhere and quickly. I like writing and recording songs. My two guitars sit out in the open space. When inspiration appears, I feel pulled towards the guitars and easily pick them up and begin playing. Too much stuff felt like obstacles. I figured there was enough obstacles out there in the world, so it was nice to have a creatively friendly and encouraging home.

MK: How do you nurture your creative spirit within the boundaries of the “do more with less” mentality of minimalism?

BP: When there's less stuff, there's less noise. Too many things makes my space feel loud. With less stuff, there's a really nice quietness pervading my home. Its out of that quietness that that my creativity thrives. I also write stories and draw cartoons and pastel paintings. They all come out of the quietness. It's funny because I don't consider myself a minimalist. But I naturally enjoy living that way.  

MK: What is one thing that consistently trips you up on your minimalist journey?

BP: This doesn't consistently trip me up, but now and then there's paying bills, answering emails, and other various errands. I try and take care of things right away. I notice if I don't, then my mind gets distracted by all the things I need to do.

MK: What is one piece of advice you’d share with others who share your passion and are exploring minimalism?

BP: It's nice not having distractions constantly vying for my attention. It's easy to get caught up in the adrenalin rush of all the stuff, but it's not very satisfying. It feels better to save myself for the things that actually matter to me. It's nicer having the peace of mind.

+  +  +  +  +

Want to share your story of Minimalism and Passion? Shoot me an e-mail {rmcdevine@gmail.com} with your answers to the questions in this interview, and I’ll share it on the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment