Aug 19, 2010

Project 333: An Introduction

Are you one of the few people in America today that wears everything in your closet, or are you like me {and most of us}, and have hanger after hanger full of things you never actually wear? A few months ago I started to keep track of what I actually wore from my closet and have been shocked at the few items I truly wear regularly - and even more shocked at the large number of items I simply never wear.

It's clearly time for a wardrobe re-boot, and just in time I discovered Courtney's blog Be More With Less and Project 333 - a fashion project wherein you live with 33 items of clothing for 3 months. The rules are simple:
When: October 1 – December 31

What: 33 items including clothing, accessories, jewelry, outerwear and shoes.

What not: these items are not counted as part of the 33 items – wedding ring, underwear, sleep, in-home lounge wear, and workout clothing (you can only wear your workout clothing to workout)
How: over the next two months, outline your 33 items, by the 1st of October, box up the remainder of your fashion statement, seal it with tape and put it out of site.

What else: consider that you are creating a wardrobe that you can live, work and play in for three months. If you purchase items for project 333, stick with the one in, two out approach. Consider the essentials and stick to 33.
As is my way with challenges and large-scale projects, I decided to participate in Project 333 without much thought. I'm excited to pare down my wardrobe - even temporarily - and see if I can live with much less than I currently do.

Over the next few weeks I'm going to start working my way through my wardrobe. I'll box up some of the summer items, but much of what I own will most likely go to the donation bins. I'm already conscious of just how much clothing sits on hangars not worn, so I'm hoping the goal number of 33 will be easier to reach than I think.

Once I get my list together, I'll be posting it to the blog. Because this is a side-project for me, I will not be doing super regular updates about this, but will instead come back here and share as I see fit. Have you considered participating in a project like this?

Do you think you could get your wardrobe down to 33 items? I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts, and would love to know if any of you are participating as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment