Sep 15, 2010

Minimalism and Passion: Andrea Scher

As I move towards a minimalist lifestyle, I’ve found I learn more from listening to others share their unique journeys than I have from books and impersonal articles. Everyone has their own take on minimalism, and in hearing those stories I find myself more open to exploring my own minimalist journey.
Andrea scherAlmost every Wednesday I post short interviews with passionate people, digging into their thoughts on minimalism.

Today's interview is with Andrea Scher. Andrea has spent many years inspiring women around the globe to embrace their inner superhero through her amazing Superhero Designs jewelry and blog.

She has also begun to lead others towards their biggest dreams and most authentic lives via the amazing Mondo Beyondo e-courses.

MK: How did your passions inspire or move you towards minimalism?

AS: My passion toward minimalism probably began in a really practical way. We have always lived in relatively small homes with minimal storage space. When we were preparing for the arrival of our first child, my nesting instinct kicked in. With it came a strong desire to clear the decks, to simplify my visual landscape. There was something about the chaos of this new adventure of parenthood that I needed to balance against a simple, clutter-free home.

MK: Did you find anything change or shift with your passion once you began your minimalist journey?

AS: I discovered that I don't need much stuff! And nearly everything I've given away or sold has been forgotten. There are no regrets. (Except that one pair of red platform sandals. What was I thinking?! ;)

Several years ago, I came across this quote that I love: "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." This is the motto I try to live by as much as possible.

MK: How do you nurture your creative spirit within the boundaries of the “do more with less” mentality of minimalism?

AS: I try to live by the law the buddhists call "The law of least effort." This basically means that more effort does not equal more results, but right effort equals right results.

I don't like to pain over my work... write when it's not coming, sit for many hours at the computer trying to wring something out of myself when I really just need to fill the well and be replenished.

I listen closely to my intuition, live my real life as much as possible, and write in bursts from the richness of my actual life. This is how I nurture my creative spirit. I listen for when there is a story that wants to be told.

MK: What is one thing that consistently trips you up on your minimalist journey?

AS: My desire to shop! and want things! I still want things all the time. I love clothing and fabric, beautiful color and brilliant design. I try to regularly let go of clothing, kid's toys, etc. to keep things in balance, but that desire to want more is still hard wired in me.

I think it's about mindfulness though. I watch myself now and ask questions: Do I need this? or just want it? Sometimes it's okay to just want it, but I want to consciously choose what I am taking in as opposed to being compulsive.

MK: What is one piece of advice you’d share with others who share your passion and are exploring minimalism?

AS: I like the policy of the revolving door. As you acquire something new, let go of something else. Letting go is a spiritual practice... and we can practice in our physical worlds so that when we have to let go of something in the emotional/spiritual realm it's that much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment