Sep 8, 2010

Minimalism and Passion: Chris Guillebeau

Almost every Wednesday I post short interviews with passionate people, digging into their thoughts on minimalism.  
As I move towards a minimalist lifestyle, I’ve found I learn more from listening to others share their unique journeys than I have from books and impersonal articles. Everyone has their own take on minimalism, and in hearing those stories I find myself more open to exploring my own minimalist journey.
chris+guillebeau.jpg Today's interview is with Chris Guillebeau, blogger behind The Art Of Non-Conformity as well as author of the just-released book The Art Of Non-Conformity.

While Chris does not call himself a minimalist, his belief that we should all live our lives intentionally if we want to accomplish great things lends itself perfectly to my brand of minimalism! Being able to interview him for this series definitely felt like a coup!
 
MK: How did your passions inspire or move you towards being more intentional?

CG: I was fortunate to not be very good at either taking orders from someone else or working any kind of regular job. This led to the need to work for myself in whatever way I could find. Over time I found that when I structured my work around what I was passionate about instead of trying to force myself to do something out of obligation, things got a lot easier. 

MK: Did you find anything change or shift with your passion once you began your journey?

CG: Yes. I realized that fear and insecurity are much bigger obstacles to self-awareness than anything else. We tend to look at external forces (lack of money, time, etc.) as the roadblocks. Most of the time, the bigger issues are internal. It helped to learn to address that more directly in my own life.

MK: How do you nurture your creative spirit within the boundaries of the “do more with less” mentality?

CG: I go for a run; I drink coffee. I try to always work with a bias towards action. I feel antsy if I'm not putting things out there, and I feel better when things are accomplished. It works for me.

MK: What is one thing that consistently trips you up on your journey?

CG: I'm easily distracted and have a hard time sustaining projects. Since I've learned that about myself and accepted it instead of trying to change, I try to devote more time to initiating things than maintaining them over long periods of time.

MK: What is one piece of advice you’d share with others who share your passion or are exploring minimalism?

CG: How about two? First: spend as much time as you need thinking about what's really important to you. Don't skip that part or go too fast in the beginning. Then: leap, net appears.

No comments:

Post a Comment