Simple Knits: Idlewood

Sep 9, 2010
A few weeks ago Cecily posted a new pattern to her blog, and I immediately fell in love. Idlewood features a super snug cowl that can be worn as a hood as well, and optional pockets that double as your gauge swatch!



I cast on for this sweater on Friday evening and by Monday I had woven in the ends and was wearing it around the house while the wind blew and the rain fell in fits and spurts, just like the lovely fall Omaha days I love so dearly!

There are so many details to this sweater that I loved - the unique way you perform the raglan increases and the way the waist shaping worked out PERFECTLY for me are but two.

I did make three changes, although one was unintentional. I cast on 104 stitches instead of 114, so I had to do some quick re-configuring when it came time to decrease for the neck, but thanks to my smaller frame the cowl still looks good.



The other change I made involved changing the garter stitch around the edges to ribbing and then making the sleeves a bit longer. I wanted them to hug my elbows {one of my favorite sleeve lengths} so I had to do a bit of decreasing to make them work - I love the way they turned out, and imagine another version in the near future with full-length sleeves for the dead of winter.

The best part about this pattern, though? The fact that I was able to whip it up in three days. The size 10 needles and worsted weight yarn mean the sweater is plenty warm for most fall/winter days, but because the needles were a bit bigger than the yarn called for, I was able to whip through it in record time. Swoon!



Specs: Knit using size 10 and 10.5 circular needles {29" cable} and size 10 DPNs; yarn: Lion Brand Woolease in #107, blue heather You can purchase this pattern for $6 directly from Cecily' website, or from Ravelry as well!

** It's Tell-A-Friend Thursday around here when I gently encourage you to spread the word about Minimalist Knitter. Here's a few ways you can do that: 

-- Forward a link to someone you think would be interested 

-- Link to a post on Twitter (follow me @minimalistrobyn) -- Sign up for my free monthly newsletter {already close to 100 people signed up!}

** [I'm getting ready to publish a bunch of new patterns this fall, and am in need of some test knitters! If you're willing to knit fast, can check charting, and can work cabling and the like on hats, scarves and mittens, sign up for my test knitters list group! I'll be contacting them shortly!]

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design