Jan 25, 2011

How To Knit 30 Charity Hats In Less Than 24 Hours

Over the weekend I participated in a 24-hour hat knitting/crochet challenge through a Ravelry group I'm part of. Four teams of eight each competed to see which team could knit and/or crochet the most hats.

While I may be a fast knitter, I also know it takes me several hours to knit a hat - even a baby-sized hat. However, I also know that for some reason, I can crochet up a simple baby hat in almost no time at all. With that knowledge, I volunteered to be part of my group's team.

Saturday morning saw me up early, checking the boards and beginning my first hat. I was dismayed to discover people already showing off hats #4-10, and felt I would of course let my team down. But I carried on, heading to my MIL's house where she has a regular Saturday craft time, bringing my yarn with me.

Surrounded by other crafters of many varieties, I found my groove, and began to crochet little baby hats like the wind! I chose not only pink and blue colors, but also some browns and marigolds, hoping some of the NICU babies wouldn't mind non-gendered hats!

I used a basic crochet preemie/baby hat pattern found on Bev's Country Cottage site - using the larger of the two sizes, I whipped through a pattern that quickly became engrained in my memory. And as I crocheted, my fingers began to remember all the other hats I've made over the years for the NICU.

Breaking only for lunch and dinner {and to head back home as the snow started to fall}, I managed to whip through thirty little baby hats by the time I could no longer keep my eyes open. I didn't believe it until the next day, when I snapped this photo ...

These thirty little baby hats will be added to over the next few days and weeks - I seem to have rekindled my love of baby hat making, and have pulled out even more acrylic from my stash for the job! - and will then be taken to the local hospital's NICU for the little babes to keep warm in.

What I Loved About This Project:

  • I used only stash yarn - no new yarn needed
  • I managed to crochet through over 1,000 yards of yarn!
  • I only needed the bare minimum of tools - a size H hook, my scissors, a darning needle for weaving in ends, and the yarn!
  • By using a variety of yarns, I managed to make a variety of hat sizes, to fit a variety of baby heads.
In fact, I loved this project so much, I'm going to be hosting a similar project throughout the month of Feburary, here on the blog! Stay tuned for more details, and get your stash yarn, knitting needles, and crochet hooks ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment