Feb 8, 2011

A Quick-Knit Scarf

Melanie scarf
 
Pattern: Big Lace Scarf, from More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts.

Yarn: I Love This Yarn, from Hobby Lobby - one full skein used.

Notes: Over the weekend I whipped up the first of several projects I've been eyeing in More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. I own the original Last Minute Knitted Gifts book as well, and these two are part of an extremely small collection of pattern books I keep.

As part of my journey to knit through my yarn stash, I find I've got far too many single skeins of yarn with no idea how to use them. Some are wool, many are acrylic, and all are itching to be made into something to gift or donate!

Enter the Big Lace Scarf.

Knit up on size 15 needles, this scarf worked quick and simply, two words I love to hear when it comes to knitting patterns. A four-row repeat, you begin to memorize the pattern within minutes, meaning I didn't even need the book by my side while working this up!

My only issue? The scarf calls for bulkier yarn than this skein, so I held it double - this created a rather short scarf; a scarflette, I've taken to calling it. This problem lies not so much with the pattern, but my choice of yarn the first time around. Next time, I'll pick either a chunkier skein or one that's got more yardage to help create some extra length.

This burgandy number is on it's way to a friend - hopefully she'll love it and it will keep her super warm during these ridiculously cold days. I'm betting a few more of these will make their way off my needles soon, to be gifted to charities such as Nest Maine; the scarf works up too fast not to make it one of my go-to patterns!

No comments:

Post a Comment