Mar 8, 2011

kanoko pants, the first

Kanoko 3


Pattern: Kanoko Pants, by Yumiko Sakurai

Yarn: Lion Brand Woolease in Aloe, one full skein used

Needles: Size 7 bamboo 16" circular needles, size 7 bamboo DPNs

Simple skill sets required for this project include: cast on, bind off, knit in the round, knitting, purling, 2x2 ribbing, seed stitch, knitting on DPNs {double pointed needles}.

I'm finally ready to start knitting some items for the littlest Devine! First off the needles are my favorite of all baby pants, the free Kanoko Pants pattern.

I've knit this pattern at least three other times for other babies, and each time I fall a little bit more in love with it. The simple shaping allows extra room for a diapered bum, the patten is sized for the smallest of babes up to almost toddlers {which I will take full advantage of in the years to come} and works up fast enoguh for me to complete in one days' knitting time!

This time around I used a wool-blend yarn instead of acrylic like I've used in the past. Knowing our babe will be born in September, and before we blink the temps will begin dipping, I wanted to make sure I had some pants that had a bit of wooly love worked into them. Woolease is perfect for this, as the yarn is washable, and the pants are small enough that even a line dry won't have them off babe's legs for long!

I currently have big plans to make several more pair of the smaller size, all in gender neutral colors. I'd love to have several pairs in shades of greys to help tone down the inevitable pink or blue palatte we'll be assaulted with as we find out if this is a boy or girl baby. As I'm not a huge fan of pastels in general, I'm hoping some neutral colored knits will help tone down the pastel bomb that's about to go off!

{for a few more details, check out my Ravelry project page, and visit the Flickr set for a few more photos}

No comments:

Post a Comment