Stacked Eyelet Cowl

Mar 3, 2011
Owl cowl 
Pattern: Stacked Eyelet Cowl, by Ami Madison

Yarn: Naturally Caron in Spa

Needles: Size 6 bamboo circular needle with 16" cable

Back in early January I committed to knitting two baby blankets and a cowl for the Harry Potter Knit And Crochet House Cup - a group on Ravelry themed after Harry Potter, complete with classes, challenges, badges and so much more to keep my little geek heart happy.

Yes, I realize this makes me a gaming nerd. I'm comfortable with it.

I had intended to knit up a different cowl for my Transfiguration OWL {what these three completed projects will earn me}, but could not for the life of me get it to work out. So I hopped onto Ravelry and found a pretty little cowl I could add a simple picot edging to - the Stacked Eyelet Cowl won easily!

A free pattern with super simple instructions, once I finally got working on it the cowl took just a few days of evening television time to complete.

Simple skill sets required for this cowl are: casting on, knitting in the round, yarn over (YO), knit two together (k2tog), and binding off.

My only issue with this cowl was in my yarn choice. In an attempt to clear out some of my yarn stash, I've been knitting from what I've got as much as possible. That meant using yarn I'd never tried before, which had been gifted to me in the past. While the yarn feels amazing to the touch both on the skein and once knitted up, the acrylic/bamboo mix splits quite often, making it easy to lose part of your stitch, and makes weaving in ends quite a little nightmare. For someone wanting a more natural yarn blend, this might be a great choice, but for me it wasn't a favorite.

Final Thoughts? I'd knit this pattern up again in a heart-beat. The yarn, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design