Simple Knits: Baby Shell

Shell 1 Shell 2
Shell 3
Shell 4 


I've been on the hunt for a simple baby shirt pattern for a few months now - since before we knew we were having a boy, almost as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I knew I'd need some simple and comfortable shirts for the fall and winter months, but didn't want something too fussy.

My Ravelry search led me to the Baby Shell pattern from Carey Huffman {Ravelry link}. The perfection of this shirt was apparent almost immediately.

It has: instructions for short and long sleeves; sizes from newborn to 24 months; overlapping flaps at the shoulders to help ease the shirt over big ole baby heads with ease; and the ability to be customized in so many ways!

I had a skein of light pink DK weight yarn laying around, and so I purchased this pattern and cast on the smallest size - with the rash of babies showing up in my friends houses, the most recent was a teenie baby girl named Arbor!

My only struggle came when it was time to join together the front and the back - and not due to any fault of the pattern! Although it was as clear as could be, it took me laying out the pieces I had knit so I could understand which stitches were going to be knit together and which stitches were not.

Shell 5

Of course, as soon as I laid it out like this I understood immediately ... sometimes I need to see visually what I'm working with.

One of the best parts of this little shell? I knit it up in 24 hours! I cast on Friday at lunch and by Saturday afternoon the sweater was done. Granted, I had an entire Friday evening and an entire Saturday morning of uninterrupted knitting time to work with, but I bet this sweater knits up within just a few days even without that dedicated knitting time.

In fact, I'm so confident that I cast on another sweater, this time in the smallest size but in blue for my little one, last night. I plan to knit it up with long sleeves this time, and can't wait to see the result!



When I contacted Carey to let her know how much I loved her pattern and that I was going to write it up on my blog, she generously offered to give TWO copies of the Baby Shell pattern away!

Of course I immediately jumped at the chance to let you all have a chance at this pattern as well! And to make things interesting, I'm giving you three ways to win a copy!

1. Comment below.

2. Tweet about this post to your Twitter account. Be sure to include a link back to the post as well as one to me {@minimalistrobyn} and then head back here and comment to let me know you did this.

3. Head on over to Carey's Facebook page and "like" her - she's offering $1 off for the first 200 people who do so! Just be sure to head back here and comment, letting me know you've done this.

Comments to this post will stay open until next Monday at 5pm CST, and then I'll close them up and select two winners - this gives you tons of time to spread the word and enter as many times as possible!

Comments

Popular Posts