May 24, 2011

Baby T-Shirt Vest

Baby vest

pattern: Baby T-Shirt Vest, from Sam Lamb, knit in the smallest size {free pattern!}
yarn: Lion Brand Wool Ease in the "fisherman" colorway - it's a super sweet natural/cream color
needles: one set US 7 / 4.5 mm 16" circular needles.
notes:

It's about time I start knitting up a few more vests and sweaters, pants and even booties for our little man! He'll be here in just about three months, and thus far I truly haven't done that much knitting for him ... bad mama!

I love the idea of a knitted vest - something to toss over his clothes as the weather gets a bit chillier, an easy hand-knit layer to add to any outfit. While I've been known to knit vests in the past to donate to charity, this is the first time I used this particular pattern.

What I Liked: This was a simple pattern to follow, and it worked up in just a few days' time. I was able to move from the straps through the body with little thought, and the instructions are simple enough that a novice knitter could work this vest out in no time!

I love how basic this vest ends up. Perfect for everyday wear, I know I'll get lots of use out of it.

What I'd Change: There are far too many ends to weave in! While you end up not having to seam a thing, this vest includes at least five different ends to weave in that I can remember - for such a small item, this feels like too many! I'm not sure what I'd do to alter the pattern to make this not so, however - if you knit this and come up with something, let me know!

Because of this, I'm not sure I'll knit the vest again until I can do so with less ends to weave in. The Milo Vest I knit last October for a friend's baby has far less, and ends with just as simple a construction as this vest does. Granted, there aren't any cute buttons at one side for added cuteness, but those are easy enough to add in!

No comments:

Post a Comment