Riverstone

Finally kicking it into gear with the baby knits it would seem - in the past week three have come off the needles!

This adorable little sweater is named Riverstone!

Riverstone 1
Riverstone 2
Riverstone 3
Riverstone 4
pattern: Riverstone, by Just Jussi {Ravelry link - pattern costs $5}
yarn: Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn! in lime green, approximately 155 yards, plus a teenie bit of grey Red Heart Super Saver for the bottom.
needles: size US 10 / 6.0 mm 16" circs.

A few years ago, I knit up a pink version of this sweater for a friend's daughter - then 5 years old. It seemed like the perfect pattern - easy construction, tons of stretch and room to grow, and an adorable button band down one side for a bit of added interest.

Fast forward to last weekend, when I realized our little monster will be here in 12 weeks, and was in need of some serious winter sweater action - one dip into my Ravelry saved patterns, and I was back on the Riverstone train!

I knit the sweater in the newborn size {the next size up is 6 months, so he may need that before the winter is out}, and modded the pattern in only one significant way ... I did not knit the button band.

The pattern calls for the top portion of the sweater to be knit straight, and then you pick up stitches for the body, adding on extra stitches for a button band that runs the length of the body. While this is adorable, I didn't want to have to hunt down a ton of buttons, and knew I wanted a simple pull-over sweater.

To mod the pattern, all I did was pick up stitches around the body and then work the 2x2 rib pattern until the sweater was the correct length. Super easy, and it ended up being truly mindless knitting for an afternoon while my husband and his mom painted part of our upstairs hallway!

While the pattern costs $5, it's definitely a worthwhile investment - I've already knit the sweater twice, intend to knit it a few more times for holiday gifts, and know I'll use it for many years for our little man. One Ravelry commenter has already suggested I knit up an adult-sized version for me!

New knitters will love this pattern as well - you need to know how to cast on, knit, purl, bind off, increase, decrease, and knit in the round. That's It! And with the baby sizes working up so quickly, it's a perfect charity knit pattern as well!

I love this sweater pattern so much, I'm adding it to my Essential Patterns List!

For a few more notes {specific stitch counts, etc} you can see my Ravelry project page for Riverstone.

Comments

Popular Posts