May 9, 2011

Traveller's Hat




pattern: Traveller's Hat, by Sue Jackson {free pattern!}

yarn: 1/2 skein I Love This Yarn worsted weight acrylic from Hobby Lobby, in mustard; 1/2 skein Red Heart Super Saver worsted weight acrylic yarn, in grey

needles: size US 8 / 5.0 mm

notes:

Although the weather has decided to skip right over spring and move towards summer, my hat knitting has not taken a break. I've moved from knitting a wide variety of other items {including baby items, yeesh!} to knitting hat after hat after hat!

While many of these hats are being boxed up for nest: Maine, I've decided to start working on some holiday knitting now - by the time fall comes and most other knitters are ready for their holiday knitting to begin, I'll have a teeny little one on my hands, decreasing my knitting time considerably.

Thus, the first hat to be added to my "for someone for Christmas" pile - the Traveller's Hat.

I made a few modifications to this hat, and were I to knit it again, I'd make a few more. First, I sized up my needles - the hat calls for sizes 3 and 6 needles {smaller for the brim, larger for the body}, but that produced not only super tight stitches but achy hands. Sized up to 8's, I felt much better.

I knit the hat according to pattern until the decreases, where I decreased over three rows instead of just one, decreasing down to 11 stitches instead of 44.

Were I to knit the hat again, I'd do the following:
  •  size 8's for the brim, size 10's for the body of the hat

  • decrease over 3 rows, but separate those three rows with three plain knitted rows. This would bring the top of the hat out nicer.
In all, loved the quick knit of this hat - definitely a great one for learning to work with different colors of yarn, and perfect for almost anyone on your gift list, depending on colors used.

Also? Their way of changing colors so you don't have jogged stripes? Easier than any other I've seen, and works like a charm - simply slip the first stitch of the row when you're changing colors! Easy peasy, and no jogged stripes!

No comments:

Post a Comment