Jun 9, 2011

another plain vest

004

pattern: Another Plain Vest, from Pickles (size 5/6 is free!)
needles: size US 9 / 5.5mm 16" circulars, and one size US 9 / 5.5mm dpn
yarn: Lion Brand Wool Ease Solids & Heathers, 102 ranch red

Folks, I've found a kid-sized vest that fits the Essential Patterns bill! Granted, there were a few ends to weave in, but they didn't feel cumbersome or unecessary.

The pattern calls for two strands of approximately DK-weight yarn, and by using one strand of worsted weight yarn, this vest worked up slightly smaller than the pattern called for - 14.5" long and 10" across. I'm not concerned about that, however - the vest still feels super warm, and will fit some little kid quite nicely!

008

I love the sleeve shaping of this sweater. Just a few stitches are bound off between the front and the back, and the garter stitch edging makes a simple and elegant edging for the sleeves.

The shoulders of the sweater are kitchener stitched together - if you don't know how to do it {or don't like it, like me!} you can use a three-needle bind-off like I did. You'll end up with a little ridge at the sleeve join, but this is hardly noticeable and for me makes an easier bind-off.

006

I actually have five skeins of this yarn left - originally purchased to knit myself a cardigan, I frogged the sweater (which was three skeins in) and decided to use this yarn for vests I'll be donating to nest: Maine. This vest is the first of {hopefully} six vests I'll be adding to my next nest box, along with my charity count!

For now I'm just going to continue to knit the free size with my size 9's. I love that Pickles always offers up one size of their patterns for free with the option to purchase the other sizes for a small fee. Thus far I haven't needed to purchase one of their patterns, although I've got a few in my queue for our little man that I'll want to purchase so I can have all the sizes at my fingertips!

This vest is being added to my Essential Patterns list for sure, and I'll share the rest of the vests after I get them done! And for those that are interested, you can see more photos of the vest in my Flickr group for the Another Plain Vest.



This is charity knit 252/10,000. I'm knitting 10,000 items for charity in my lifetime as part of my Ten Thousand Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment