a tale of two hats

Jun 7, 2011
A few weeks ago, i managed to finish up two more hats for my Harry Potter-related project. Both hats were originally meant to be gifts for friends for the holidays, but due to various issues with each, they will instead end up in the donation bin.

This is NOT to say that hats with issues are good for donation! The hats had issues as far as who they were going to be given to ... mostly due to size!

Hat #1:



pattern: Regular Guy Beanie, by Chuck Wright {free Ravelry download!}
needles: US 7 / 4.5 mm 16" circulars and DPNs
yarn: Lion Brand Wool Ease Solids and Heathers, 1/2 skein denim twist

I've knit this pattern before, as part of the One Hundred Hats project. During that first knitting, I didn't make many notes, and now that I've knit the hat again, I'm documenting my thoughts a bit better.

This hat was meant for a friend as a holiday present. It will end up in the donation bin instead. The main reason? There is not enough room given in the pattern before decreases, and so this hat will not cover an adult male's ears very well.

The pattern is meant for an adult male, and after double-checking my gauge, I know I was spot on with the pattern. I even knit an extra 1/2" before decreases, just in case. I should have made it at least an inch, if not longer!

Thankfully, because hand knits are stretchy, this hat will easily fit a teen or even a younger male, making it perfect for donating to nest: Maine!


Hat #2:


pattern: Ryan Hat, by Dori Mondon {free pattern!}
needles: US 8 / 5.0 mm 16" circulars and DPNs
yarn: Lion Brand Wool Ease Solids & Heathers, 1/2 skein in heather grey

In this instance, the issue I had with this hat was simply not reading the instructions properly! Where the pattern called for you to knit 1 and then purl 1 into a stitch, I simply kfb. TOTALLY DIFFERENT STITCH!

Because of this, the body of the hat turned out rather tight, where using the proper stitch might have loosened it up a bit. The hat barely fits over my head, to say nothing of my husband's head, which is where this hat was originally destined to reside.

The plus side? I ended up creating a new hat pattern - look for it to be re-knit and then released later this month!

The down side? This hat will ALSO not be able to be gifted this holiday season, and is headed for nest: Maine. Again, while the hat won't fit an adult-sized head, it will easily fit over a kid's head, making a wonderful slouchy winter hat!


The moral of these two hat stories? Pay attention to stitch directions and follow your gut when it comes to hat length! Both hat patterns are well worth knitting again, although I'll be paying more attention to what I'm doing for sure!


These are charity knits 250/10,000 and 251/10,000. I'm knitting 10,000 items for charity in my lifetime as part of my Ten Thousand Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design