Aug 25, 2011

My Hospital Bag: Or, I Need To Bring {WHAT?!?!?} With Me?

{a note: i had this set to publish the day before we were SUPPOSED to head to the hospital ... if it seems out of order, it is! we had Owen two days before this went live!}

I have a confession to make: since about May I’ve been stalking mommy bloggers to see what all they packed for their trips to the hospital when they had their kids. I’ve never spent any time in a hospital you see, and so I have no idea what I should or should not bring. Plus, it would appear I’m packing a bag not just for me, but for my husband and another little person as well.

Tuesday's external version did not work, so now we know --- this baby will be here Friday morning! As in, tomorrow. So it was time to get this bag packed, in the car, and ready for baby.

After doing quite a bit of homework, both on blogs and through baby websites, I’ve come to a few conclusions.

First, folks bring A LOT OF STUFF with them to the hospital. Those who are having all-natural child births bring birthing aides, folks bring music (either on their cell phones or their iPods) and mini speakers, there are a wide variety of clothing items packed, not to mention pillows, blankets and towels.

Second, everyone as a VERY STRONG OPINION about what you need to bring with you. Like, I might die if I don’t have some of the items on some of these lists.

Thanks to a few friends who have given birth IN THE VERY SAME HOSPITAL I will be having our monster, I’ve picked up a few tips … items I surely don’t need and a few things I’ll definitely want to lug along, knowing we'll be in the hospital for three full days.


Thanks to their advice, the lists I’ve found online, and the fellow bloggers I’ve stalked, I’ve come up with my list:

STUFF I MUST BRING
  • My toothbrush and some toothpaste. Because I don’t want to be THAT lady.

  • Pajama pants and socks. Because I am always, always, always cold, and hospitals are not known for their warmth.

  • Kindle. I've got two books on there that are "fluff reading", and if there's time, I'll crack one of them open.

  • A few skeins of sport weight yarn. I've been knitting baby hats with all my sport weight yarn (photos next week hopefully), and I have a few more skeins left. I was hoping to have them all knit up into baby hats to donate to the hospital before we take our little man home, so I'm bringing what I've got left in case I feel like knitting.

  • A going-home outfit and one handmade hat for the little. We’ll most likely have his diaper bag in the car “just in case”, but these two things are all I can imagine needing in those 48 hours.

  • Toiletries. Sort of. I've got a toothbrush and toothpaste for both of us, some face wipes and dry shampoo for me, and deodorant. They've got soap, shampoo and such, and I most likely will be a sponge bath girl anyhow for a few days, so most of this isn't needed. I also may have packed some lip gloss and some mascara.

  • My laptop. I have it on good authority that I’ll get some wifi while I’m there, and at the very least I’d like to have a way to write down some of my first thoughts as a mama, should I want to do so. I can also use this to share photos of the kiddo with friends, family and of course you all, and we've loaded some movies onto it as well.

  • The Boppy. Folks say its a good idea to have it on-hand for breastfeeding, so we'll leave it in the car and see if I need it. If not, no harm, no foul.

  • Camera, extra battery, charger, extra memory card. Because I will be a photo-taking FOOL, people. A fool. 

  • I've got a list going of all the folks we need to call and text right away, and a folder with our important information in it.

I will fully admit the diaper bag is packed full of diapers, wipes, a few swaddlers, and far too much clothing. I know they'll have all that stuff at the hospital, and the bag will probably stay in the car the whole time, but I wanted to be prepared just in case.

I'm not setting up a special play list or anything music-related. Confession time: I'm not really a music girl. I listen to the radio in the car, and don't have a lot of favorites, so if I decide I want some music I'll just pull up Pandora or something.

Thankfully for all of us, not only do we live about ten minutes from the hospital, but there is a Target approximately thirty seconds away. If I decide I MUST have something or I will DIE A SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATH, I will send my mother, my husband, or even a random stranger (if it comes to it) to the store or our house.

Realistically, we’ll all be at the hospital for three sleep-deprived days, and then we’ll be sent home to fend for ourselves. The last thing we need to worry about during those 72 hours is “did we remember to put xxx back in the bag?”

For those of you who have had kids, what did you bring with you to the hospital that you thought you’d need but didn’t? What did you wish you’d had with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment