Mar 14, 2016

Monte Rosa



Pattern: Monte Rosa Hat, by Isabell Kraemer
Yarn: Patons Classic Wool (1/2 skein between the main color and the accent, including pom)
Needles: size US 6 / 4.0mm 16" and US 8 / 5.0mm 16", and US 8 / 5.0mm dpns

I've had Monte Rosa in my Ravelry queue for a few years now. In fact, I'm pretty sure I added it to my queue with the intention of knitting this hat for Lou once she got big enough to fit the smallest size, which she is now. This version of the hat, however, is meant for me to wear to Husker football games this coming fall season!

I didn't adjust hardly anything when I made this hat. I did not do the tubular cast on, because I have never had luck with that one, but otherwise I worked the pattern as written.

I wasn't sure how I'd manage to keep the cables and the lace separate in my brain, but Isabell writes such a good pattern, I never had to think about it! I downloaded the PDF to my iPad, and then used the annotation tools to mark off each row as I finished it, which made it super simple! I'm trying to use less paper, and while for most patterns I don't even have to think about it, with something a bit more complicated I was worried that this method would work. Thankfully, it worked like a charm, and I'm excited to work more difficult hats now!

I made the M2 size, which says it fits a medium adult head, and the hat fits me perfectly! It's the size I'd make for most women, and I already know I'll be making many more of these, in most cases minus the pom, to donate to refugees. It was truly a fast pattern, and made in wool it's super warm, even with the lace panels all over. The small stripe area is perfect for using up even the tiniest bits of wool, and I figure having one of these on the needles every fourth or fifth hat, I won't get bored of the pattern and will have bunches of gorgeous hats to donate!

1 comment: