Jun 2, 2017

Summers "Off"

Now that I'm a teacher, I get "summers off." Never mind the hours I put in every day during the school year. Never mind the hours my work wife and I are putting in almost every day this summer. Everywhere I go, I see comments about teachers having it so easy in June, July, and August.


Rather than take offense, however, I've decided to use my summer "off" for a bunch of things.


There's all the swinging we're doing.



There's tons of playing at our water table, with the plan to get a mini pool in the near future so we can play in there as well.



There's all the books I plan to read this summer. I was lucky enough to get a HUGE book haul right before the end of the school year, a combination of gifts from my mama for my 40th (which is coming up soon ...) and student donations, and I want to read as many of them as I can before summer is up so I have tons of books to talk up to my new crop of sevies.
And then there's all the knitting and crochet.


As I finally take time to organize our life in our new home (something that's been ignored as winter and spring flew past us), I'm learning to let go of everything that doesn't add value or spark joy. That leaves me with a lot of yarn, however - both valuable and joy-sparking. But not if it just sits there, unused.


And so I'm working my way through as much of it as I can, using scraps to make afghans and almost-whole skeins to make hats, getting back to having stacks of knitting and crochet ready to send off to charities in need. I may not find a lot of time for this during the school year, and so I'm taking as much time as possible this summer to get some stuff done.


So far? It's been wonderful!

1 comment: