have you heard the one about each pregnancy being different?

Sep 3, 2013


Yeah ... that's me, just over the 12 week mark, clearly ready to party like I am having ten babies instead of just one. You know what they say about your body just going, "Hey, a baby is in here! I should make room ..."? Well, my body totally did that. Like, right away. As in, I've been rocking maternity jeans for like a month already (and loving every minute of it). Also, my butt has already gotten bigger. What the???

I should have known this pregnancy would be different. Every person is different, so why would carrying a person be the exact same as the last time? Instead, I thought, "I've done this before, I know what to expect" ... hah! Famous last words.

I have spent most of my summer in one of two places - head stuck in the toilet or entire body in the fetal on the bed, pretending I can get some sleep. The first trimester has been difficult, to put it mildly. With Owen I felt a bit sick most of the first 12 weeks, but a few Cheese-Its in my tummy and I was good to go. This time around I have thrown up my first sips of water in the morning, entire meals, and everything in between. It has not been fun. I think I'm starting to come out of the worst of it. I still find myself feeling sick on and off all day, but the bulk of the exhaustion has worn off, so I guess that's good?

Now that fall is just around the corner (please? maybe? hope upon hope?) we are starting to move everything around in our house, dismantle the office to make room for a nursery, and in a few months we'll get down to the dirty work of bringing all Owen's clothes out from storage to decide what will work this time around and what won't. So much to do, so little energy to do it in.

For those who will ask, we did fertility treatments this time just like we did with Owen. That journey was also incredibly different than the first time around (sensing a pattern here?), but ultimately I wouldn't trade it for anything. And for those in Omaha, Dr. Meghan Oakes -- she is a goddess and a genius and the best fertility doc a gal could ask for. Tell her we sent you.

I'm excited to share this journey here on the blog, just as I did when I was pregnant with Owen. Coming soon, a few things that I've been leaning on this time around, my big "what to knit for this kid" list (he/she will be born in late February, so the knitting list is even longer than the first time around!) and some thoughts as I move into my second trimester.

While I'll keep focused on knitting hats and giving them away this fall and winter, with something this big happening in our family there's no way I can't share at least a little bit!

What sorts of pregnancy/baby related things would you love to read about? I want to make sure you get as much dish as you need!

Post a Comment

Instagram