off the needles: annie cowl

Dec 26, 2011


I feel like I'm being extremely biased by saying this, but the Annie Cowl might be my favorite finished item this holiday season. {ssshhhh, don't tell the others!}

A simple reversible pattern, sized up for larger needles, and this cowl felt like it flew off the needles! Knit during snuggle time with Owen, during  Sherlock Holmes on a Sunday afternoon, and even in little pockets of time during naps, this cowl worked up much faster than I thought it would, and turned out to be the perfect gift for my friend Melanie!

pattern: Annie Cowl, by Jane Richmond
yarn: I Love This Yarn, in toasted almond (2/3 of the skein used up)
needles: size US 11 / 8.0 mm bamboo straights

I made a few mods to this pattern which worked out perfectly for me -

+ The pattern calls for DK weight yarn, but as I had the right color in worsted weight, I subbed it in.
+ Because of the increase in yarn weight, I went from size 5 needles to a large size 11. This made the fabric drapier than the pattern calls for, but I love it.
+ Also due to the larger yarn and needles, I cast on less stitches than the pattern calls for.

Even after all these adjustments, this pattern turned out gorgeous. This is the beauty of Jane's patterns, I believe. She writes them so that someone like myself can come along and completely ignore the yarn and needle suggestions and still end up with a gorgeous finished piece of knitting!

And because Jane has given me permission to add finished knits from her patterns to my shop, I just might have to make up one or two of these and add them in 2012. When I tried it on to make sure it was long enough/warm enough, I almost didn't take it off!

Post a Comment

Instagram