small things with great love

Aug 13, 2012



pattern: Simple Striped Hat, my free pattern
needles: one size US 10 / 5.5 mm 16" circular needle and one set size US 10 / 5.5 mm DPNs
yarn: leftover bits of Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn! in light grey and purple sparkle. Coral yarn first used here.

//

Over the weekend, I spent more time than I'd care to admit watching television. I cheered as Americans took home gold while running, throwing, and shooting hoops. I marveled as diving came down to the last dive, with David Boudia winning by the smallest of margins. I cheered as I learned more American women brought home gold than American men (yay women!) this Olympics, and I reveled in the wonder that is the Olympic Closing Ceremonies.

I also mourned as more soldiers lost their lives.

I mourned as innocent people across Iran were killed and injured in two large earthquakes.

I mourned for the two women in my own neighborhood who were attacked, one of whom was violently sexually assaulted, and the other less than a block from my front door.

In the midst of all this triumph and sadness, I knit two hats (seen above).

I know you think it, because I think it all the time. What good can a hat really do? Even when put into a large group, ten thousand hats don't begin to touch the need this world has. Need for safety, need for food and water. Need for shelter, and need for love.

One hat will not cure a thing, it is true.

Or is it?

“In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love.” – Blessed Mother Teresa

I fully believe the words that Mother Teresa spoke when she said that we can only do small things with great love. One hat, such a small thing. But what kind of difference can it make?

Will it change the face of the planet? Will it simply keep someone warm who otherwise might not be? Will it spark hope in someone feeling lost? Will it bring love and joy to someone in the throes of loneliness? Will it spread a love of knitting, inspiring someone to take up a set of needles?

I have no idea what these two little hats will have to do with the larger world picture. Chances are, they will warm two people's heads for the winter, and not much else. But the small act of knitting a hat, done with great love and compassion may just change the world.

Of this I am sure.

//

Lindsay joined in on knitting a few striped hats for her son - check them out here!

If you'd like to join me in knitting striped hats during August, link up to this post with your finished hats - I'll be sharing links again next week!

//

I'm making 10,000 hats for 10,000 people. These are hats 136 and 137.

5 comments :

  1. I have loved that quote by Mother Teresa for many years. Like you, when I wonder if one little thing I do will make a difference in the world, I still choose to do that one little thing.

    Another quote: mourn with those who mourn. One of the Marines who were killed this weekend came from my county. 20 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog post. What a great perspective.

    A similar quote is "There is nothing small in the service of God." That's from St. Francis de Sales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats what i think also..if you knit even just one hat, iam sure it will keep some ones head nice and cozy come winter time..
    take care,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your journey to change the world, one hat at a time, is truly inspiring. I can feel the love you put into your hats and out into the world through your words. Thank you for sharing your journey with us & inspiring others to do the same :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so very right with your sentiments!

    There is an immense set of problems facing this world, but something so small like a knit hat can make a difference!

    We don't have to be rebuilding villages in Africa, building houses for the poor, sometimes it can be as simple a gesture as showing you care or in your case knitting someone a hat that can light up someone's else face !

    You will always have my support!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram