April KAL Week Two: Finding A Charity

Apr 15, 2013

While it may not seem like it, the easy part to making 10,000 hats for 10,000 people is the actual knitting of the hats. I simply have to head to my yarn stash and make a hat using one of the patterns I find myself knitting on repeat.

In contrast, it can feel overwhelming to find a person to give the finished hat to. Is it smarter to give the hat to a friend or family member, or should I donate the hat? If I choose to donate the hat, which charity is the best fit for the hat I've just made? Should I donate the hat locally, or is there a charity somewhere else in the world that could benefit more?

These questions used to run through my mind with each hat I made. Over the last few years, however, I've figured out which types of hats are best donated to which types of charities, and have narrowed down the number of charities I regularly donate to so that I can best distribute the hats I make. I've been donating hats for years, though.

You may not find it so easy, and you maybe have even decided against donating because you didn't know where you should send your hat (or mittens or scarf). And there's nothing I like less than someone who wants to give something away feeling thwarted by what feels so simple to me! With that in mind, I'm going to start sharing charities. First the charities that I donate to (both regularly and on occasion), and then charities that are new to me, but that would love to take your handmade items and give them to folks in need!

First up later this week will be Hats For Sailors, as I'm still deep into knitting hats for this amazing organization for the remainder of the month. But look for some fun groups based all over the world - hopefully, no matter where you are in the world you'll find a place to donate close to you!

Post a Comment

Instagram