Hats On People // E & P

Apr 3, 2012


I love reading Elise Cripe's blog - it's one of the highlights of my day, actually. And so a month or two ago, when she shared she was getting into knitting for reals, I commented with an offer to help anytime she needed it. That comment blossomed into a sweet little e-mail acquaintance-ship formed - I helped her knit her first cowl, she called me her "knitting mentor" (which blew me away), and then I offered to knit both she and her husband Paul hats.


pattern: Bailey Hat, by Jane Richmond (heavily modified)  
yarn: Patons Classic wool in dark grey heather mix (around 3/4 of a skein)  
needles: sizes US 8 / 5.0 mm and US 10 / 6.0 mm circs

For whatever reason, I struggled through knitting Bailey this time around. I've knit this hat before and didn't have near these problems, so I'm not quite sure what happened. Nevertheless I got the thing off the needles, satisfied with the results, and added it to an envelope.  


pattern: Christopher Hat, by Jane Richmond
yarn: Lion Brand Wool Ease in natural and black (around 1/2 a skein of each)  
needles: size US 9 / 5.5 mm circs and DPNs

Paul's hat, in contrast, flew off the needles! While I didn't make the full liner hat (these two live in California after all!) I did make enough of a liner to give the hat plenty of ear warmth. I love that it fits over Paul's ears fully - I'm always afraid that I'll make a hat too short when I make them for men, so seeing this means I didn't do it! I had so much fun making these two hats, and while they're woolen hats for Cali dwellers, I'm hopeful they'll get at least a bit of use.

Post a Comment

Instagram