Hat-Tember: The Details

Aug 30, 2012

Last week I shared the details of my Hat-tember project. I’m super excited to join Joel Runyon’s Impossible Challenge to raise $25k for Pencils Of Promise. While you already know the basics of the project, I wanted to dig into the bones of the hat making this week - for those of you here who knit and crochet, detailing out exactly how i plan to make 30 hats in 30 days should be fun!

First and foremost, I’ll be using the Basic Beanie Crochet Pattern from Sweet Kiwi Crochet. I love every pattern I’ve used from this shop, and to date have worked this particular pattern up in every single size! For the Hat-tember challenge I’ll be knitting the adult size hat, minus the earflaps. Adding earflaps involves a lot of yarn cutting, weaving in of ends, and extra work I know I won’t have time for if I’m going to knock out a hat a day. For yarn I’m going to stick with what’s already in my stash. My hope is to work through as much of this yarn as possible this month, and make each hat as unique as I can!

Logistically Speaking

The thought of crocheting a hat a day, getting it photographed and posted to the blog seems daunting in and of itself, no? Here’s how I plan to make it happen … My hat making will actually begin in the evening. At some point in the evening I’ll cast on a hat, and work until it’s as close to done as possible. Then in the morning I’ll finish off what I need to get done. When Zach gets home from work and before the sun goes down we’ll head outside to snap a photo or two of the finished hat. Once Owen is in bed I’ll edit the photos and get the post up on the blog. At that point I’ll cast on the next hat. Sounds easy … we’ll see how well I can keep it up! This schedule means I’ll be “officially” starting my first hat on August 31st. This way I can post a hat each day during September, and is the best way I can come up with to stay on track and accomplish my “impossible challenge”.

Spreading the Word!

Over the next month I'll be super busy getting hats made, posting photos and notes on hats each day, and sending shout-outs and thank yous to folks who have helped raise money for Pencils Of Promise. While I'm doing all that, I'm hoping those of you already excited about this project will join in a bit and help me spread the word! Raising $750 in just one short month is a pretty big goal outside of making a hat a day, and I won't be able to do it on my own!

To help you out, I've created a Hat-tember 2012 page with a bunch of buttons you can grab. The buttons were created by Colleen Conger, an amazing freelancer who does everything from writing and transcription to graphic design! If you don't have a blog/website where you can share a button, I'd love it if you could Tweet about the project or post it on your Facebook page!

All month I'll be using the #hattember tag on Google+ as well. // If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them in the comments, and I’ll edit this post with the answers in the next few days.

Post a Comment

Instagram