Close Cables Hat

Aug 18, 2014



pattern: Close Cables hat, by Pickles
yarn: Hobby Lobby I Love This Wool!, approximately 150 yards
needles: sizes US 8 / 5.0 mm and US 10 / 6.0 mm 16" circulars, and size US 10 / 6.0 mm dpns

I've been in the mood for some serious cables lately, and this hat was what started it all. I've loved every single Pickles hat pattern I've used to date, and was shocked to realize I'd never made their Close Cables hat, so about a month ago I popped it onto the needles. After just a few hours it was finished, I was in love, and a small cable addiction had formed!

I've been trying to use up all my HL yarn in the past month or two. I've managed to use up all the acrylic, but I have a large stash of wool left, thanks to an amazing Christmas gift last year. I'm hoping to turn it into a huge batch of hats to send to Nest in a few weeks, and am well on my way to filling up a box already.

This hat was such a joy to knit. The cables are chunky and squishy, just the way I like them. The pattern is simple to follow, although because I used a thick worsted weight yarn I didn't hold it double, as the pattern suggests.

I also worked an extra cable repeat before starting the decreases. I find I almost always have to add length to hats when I make them, to ensure they cover the ears fully. For whatever reason, most hat patterns don't leave hats long enough to cover the ears fully, and with donation hats I want to make sure there's as much coverage as possible.

I plan to make this hat again in the next few weeks at least twice - once in red, once in white, both times with Lion Brand Wool Ease. This way I have some Husker hat options for fall and winter football games! I'm also going to add a contrasting pom to them (red for the white hat, white for the red hat) to give them just a bit more extra festive flair!

All in all, this pattern is a super winner, perfect for gifting, charity donation, and personal hats!

Post a Comment

Instagram