009 // Waffle Hat for him

Jan 19, 2012



pattern: Waffle Hat, by Gail Bable
yarn: Stitch Nation By Debbie Stoller Full O' Sheep
needles: size US 9 / 5.5mm 16" circular needle
made for: my husband, Zach!

He hates to have his photo taken, and so when I told him I wanted a shot of him in the hat, he made sure his face wasn't in it. I don't get it - he's absolutely gorgeous to me - but I let it happen because he's my love and I don't want to make him uncomfortable!

This is his third handmade hat. The first was a simple 2x2 ribbed hat made from black acrylic. Did the job, but not my best. Second I made him a Space Invaders hat, which he just loves. But he wanted something more basic, something he could wear to work and out when he was a bit more dressed up. Besides, that last hat was made in February 2010 - it's been two years since I've made him a hat!

I had picked up a different black wool, something with less loft to it, with the thought of making him another basic ribbed hat. This hat was going to be donated somewhere else. But he grabbed it almost as soon as I was done with it and put it on his head, commenting on how comfortable it was - how do you say no to that!

My goal is to have a huge pile of hats to donate to others for sure; but my other goal is to have a huge pile of hand knits by the front door all winter long each year, full of things I've made for my two men. I think this is a good start!

2 comments :

  1. How fun!! My husband is like that, too.. hates to have his picture, and he would totally do that. I've been trying to crochet him the perfect man hat for like a year (not continuously, lol) but after three tries I still haven't perfected it!! I bet it would be easier if I was knitting it. Knit wear seems more manly. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I have been crocheting since I was little, but recently taught myself how to knit, and I made this waffle hat, my first ever hat!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram