hats on people: Joel Runyon

Nov 6, 2012


pattern: Joe by Jane Richmond (Ravelry link)  
yarn: stash yarn in grey and black  
needles: size US 9 / 5.5mm

Joel Runyon is a man who thrives on the impossible. He's been documenting a life lived outside of ordinary boundaries for a few years now over at The Blog Of Impossible Things - from running marathons (and ultra-marathons) to getting six pack abs; from visiting every continent to going without internet for a month to skydiving; from attending both Mardi Gras and Burning Man - proving that you can live a crazy and amazing life while doing tremendous good for the world.

I've been reading Joel's blog for over a year, and in that time I've been inspired by his desire to do the impossible. With my goal of 10,000 hats for 10,000 people I'm no stranger to impossible goals, and thanks to Joel's desire to raise 25K for Pencils Of Promise I ticked off "make a hat a day for a month" from my Life List.

So when I offered to make Joel a hat, I had no idea that it was about to become an impossible thing all on its own! It took three full tries to make a hat that worked for both Joel and I, but the end result is perfection. Grey with black stripes, I modified an old favorite Jane Richmond pattern so that the hat would have just the right amount of stretch.

Joel actually got his hat back in the midst of the summer - a huge heat wave kept him from wearing it for some time but thankfully the heat has broken and the cool weather is here, and Joel is wearing his hat! If you're into impossible things, check out Joel's blog - I promise you won't be disappointed!

Post a Comment

Instagram