While Knitting | Volume II

Nov 24, 2014


Knitting doesn't happen in a vacuum here in SMH-land. Instead, I'm always reading something (thanks to my Kindle) or watching something (thanks to Netflix). Here's a short list of what I've been reading and watching lately.

Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children) by Ransom Riggs.This is the second in a series about a group of children with very peculiar abilities, their caretaker (Miss Peregrine) and the battle for the survival of their kind.

I read the first book (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children) several years ago, but it had been long enough that I re-read the first installment before diving into this book. I'm glad I did this, because I would never have remembered so many of the little nuances that set up the second tale in the series.

Full of time travel, mystery, fights for the survival of a group of people, and more, this book showcases why I love young adult fiction so much. A good YA writer can tell tales with very sophisticated themes, weave in great moral conundrums and help grow readers through words. Definitely pick it up!

 +


The Promise of a Pencil: How an Ordinary Person Can Create Extraordinary Change by Adam Braun.So, I knew the basics about Pencils Of Promise before reading this book. I'm in love with their mission, and am proud to say I'm helping build 7 schools through their fundraising efforts. That said, I didn't know the origin story behind the organization, and knew next to nothing about the founder, Adam Braun. So I was excited to dig in and read, to learn more.

Let it be said up front, I am a sucker for a feel-good story that ends happily. And so it should be no surprise that I cried no less than seven times while reading. Kids getting schools, education, and a sense of hope and promise they didn't previously have? Clearly, there were tears. Loved it, and I've already given away a copy, with more to be gifted this holiday season!

+

7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker. Okay, so if you don't really find social justice your cup of tea, skip it. But if you love you some Jen Hatmaker, loved her book Interrupted, or are looking for a way to challenge yourself to live a bit lighter in the world, and are ready to recognize just how much our priveledged lives are built on the backs of others, this one's for you. I've already been simplifying my world, but this book has set a new standard, and has challenged me to dig deeper and let go of even more.

+

Still working my way through Gilmore Girls, Breaking Bad, and Bones. Nothing new here, so not writing more about them!

1 comment :

  1. I love to read or watch Netflix on my Kindle when I have mindless knitting going. I am not so great with that when I am crocheting. I got the idea from you several years ago.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram