A Month Of Impossible Knitting

Aug 20, 2012

Back towards the beginning of the month my friend Joel over at The Blog Of Impossible Things introduced a crazy new project he’s undertaking - he’s challenged his vast community of readers to help him raise $25k for Pencils Of Promise by the end of 2012! Reading through his post regarding the impossible challenge, I began to get excited.

Not only is Joel raising a world-changing amount of money ($25k will build a school in Guatemala AND proved quality education for 1,000 kids!), he’s challenging readers to undertake impossible goals. For his own part, he’ll be running an ultra-marathon - readers are committing to a wide variety of projects, and Joel’s got all sorts of incentives along the way, including bringing a group of folks to Guatemala to help build the school!

I immediately knew two things.

One, that I was going to help out.

Two, what my impossible project would be.

 For the last few months, I’ve been knitting faster and faster, producing quite a large number of hats for charity. It’s been so amazing to see just how many hats I can actually get off the needles, but I’ve missed the challenge aspect I had with the One Hundred Hats project I finished two years ago. Quietly I’ve wondered if I could complete a “hat a day” project - knit or crochet one hat every single day for one full month. I’ve been excited about the idea, but quite scared at the amount of time and dedication something like this would mean. And then Joel challenged his readers to do impossible things for the sake of getting some kids a decent education. Sold.

Introducing Hat-tember 2012!!

 
 
During the month of September, I will be crocheting a hat a day! I’ll be donating the hats to the Chicago Food Pantry, and will be asking folks to sponsor the hats as a way to raise money for Pencils Of Promise.
Hat-tember 2012 will be epic to be sure! While I’ll be flushing out more of the pattern details next week, I wanted to share some of the logistical details now.

Hat-tember Details

The basics of this challenge are simple enough - using one crochet pattern, my stash yarn, and a lot of determination, I’ll be crocheting up and sharing on the blog one hat each day in September. Each hat will be sized to fit a teenager through adult so I can wear it for photos, and I’ve enlisted Zach to help me take photos as much as possible. Each day will feature the photo of a hat along with a few details (yarn used, fiber content, etc). Simple posting will be key here, as I’ll be spending much of my free time actually making hats.

Sponsoring A Hat

Each day’s hat will be available for sponsorship - this is my way of raising money for Pencils Of Promise. When each post goes live, there will be the option to sponsor the hat for just $25 - the cost of a year of education for a child! The hat you sponsor will be sent to the Chicago Food Pantry (where I’ve been sending most of my hats this year) to help keep a kid in need warm this winter. Yes, this means you’re giving me money and not getting a hat. I figure the prospect of getting a year of schooling for a child along with helping a kid stay warm this winter will be tempting enough for folks!

All The Rest Of It

I’ll be sharing more information about the hats next week - what pattern I’ll be using, the crochet hook that’ll be my constant companion all September, a few shots of the yarn I hope to use up, and a bit more. Until then, are there any questions you’ve got about the project? Ask them in the comments and I’ll get them answered next week!

Post a Comment

Instagram