Hats On People: Collen McCulla

Jun 6, 2013


 pattern: Spring Beret, by Natalie Larson (free Ravelry download)  
yarn: unknown, approximately 120 yards of worsted weight cotton blend
needles: size US 8 / 5.0 mm and US 9 / 5.5 mm 16" circulars and size US 9 / 5.5 mm dpns

I was introduced to Colleen McCulla of Feelbetterology back in December, thanks to the tip from Josh and Ryan over at The Minimalists. Colleen is a super amazing woman, sharing her weight loss journey and her life with the world while also putting a collage a day on Instagram!

Colleen's hat story has been one fraught with danger, terror, and not a few missteps, and I mean every word of that. Way back in December Colleen quickly picked out the hat she wanted, the fiber type and color of her dreams, and I hopped in for what I assumed would be a quick turn-around hat perfect for this Ohio girl and the winter weather she most definitely still had on the way.

Six months later, a very different hat finally arrived on Colleen's doorstep! Between a variety of yarn choices that didn't work out for Colleen's first hat choice and a few missteps on my part for Colleen's second hat choice, the weather began to warm up and a winter hat was seeming less and less useful.

But then, on her third try at getting a hat out of me, Colleen picked the gorgeous Spring Beret pattern. Around the same time she discovered some yarn languishing in her possession from a project she decided she was never getting around to, and the perfect plan fell into place. Colleen mailed me the yarn, I used the pink skein to make her hat out of the Spring Beret pattern, and before either of us knew what had happened the perfect spring-weather hat was on its way back to Ohio!

The Spring Beret pattern is a dream to work with! I love it when I can knit a pattern exactly according to directions, not having to modify for length or cast-on; even the needle size was spot-on with my normally tight tension! I loved the pattern so much I cast on another as soon as Colleen's hat was off the needles, and have grand plans of making a dozen or so more for donation over the summer. The open weave of the lace pattern on the body of the hat should still be plenty warm if I work it up in wool, and I'm excited to give it a try with a different fiber, as the pattern took so well to the cotton-blend yarn I used for Colleen's hat.


To follow Colleen:

Post a Comment

Instagram