Second Baby Blanket

Jan 15, 2015




A friend is about to have her second baby, and I knew I had to celebrate with a few knitted gifts. There are hats of course, but where her first received a few handmade blankets, this little one still hadn't received a single handmade blanket just a week before his arrival!

To remedy that, I hopped over to the store and grabbed some bulky yarn; with my size 15's in hand, I whipped a fun knitted blanket off the needles in a few quick knitting sessions over a weekend. Below you'll find my free pattern, if you'd like to make all the second and third babies (and then some) a bit of handmade love of their own!

I made this blanket with muted earth tones in a boyish palate, but I think this blanket would work with just about any color choices. You could alternate just two colors, you could choose a variety of tones of the same color, or you could go crazy with a huge variety!

Free pattern after the jump!



YARN

Loops & Threads Charisma (100% acrylic; 109y / 100m per 100g) - you will need 9 total balls of yarn, 2 each of colors A-D, and 1 of color E

I used the following colors:
Color A - Forest
Color B - Espresso
Color C - Taupe
Color D - Dark Blue
Color E - Red

NEEDLES

size US 15 / 10mm 32" needles

NOTIONS

darning needle

GAUGE

2 sts per 1" (row gauge unimportant)

SIZE

approximately 36" x 48"

DIRECTIONS

Using Color A, cast on 75 stitches.
Knit all sts for 20 rows.

Switch to Color B.
Knit all stitches for 20 rows.

Switch to Color C.
Knit all stitches for 20 rows.

Switch to Color D.
Knit all stitches for 20 rows.

Switch to Color E.
Knit all stitches for 20 rows.

Switch to Color D.
Knit all stitches for 20 rows.

Switch to Color C.
Knit all stitches for 20 rows.

Switch to Color B.
Knit all stitches for 20 rows.

Switch to Color A.
** Knit all stitches for 19 rows. **

Bind off all stitches as the 20th row.

FINISHING

Weave in all ends. With a blanket like this, especially since I've used acrylic yarn, I like to knot the ends together (when they are next to one another) before I weave them in.



1 comment :

Instagram