some time at the park

Jan 29, 2015





I know, I know. It's sort of douchey to be posting photos of kids in light coats with no hats in January, when so much of the East Coast is covered in snow. Here in Omaha, we've had a few days with near-record highs, and so we've been taking full advantage.

We've been trying our hardest to go out and about as much as possible the last few days, because our temps are supposed to drop dramatically this weekend. So of course we went to the park.

Lou got to go on the slides for the first time, and clearly she was not impressed. She did, however, squeal and giggle the entire time she was on the swings, especially when Owen would shout "WHEE!!!" at the top of his lungs in an effort to make her giggle even harder.

And yes, I know he's over 3. And we're working on pumping our legs.

While he may still prefer to be pushed on the swings, Owen is a huge fan of climbing all the things on the slides, giving me minor heart attacks at every turn. He befriended a boy a year older than him, and that boy's dad and I chatted about the fear we parents have.

I watch him climb and jump, and part of me thinks this next time will be the one where he falls and breaks something. But I let him go, standing farther and farther away until I'm nowhere near him, and he makes it up just fine every time. Because of course he does. Because that's what he's built for right now, to climb and jump and give me minor heart attacks. And then he stands at the top, looks for me, and shouts, "I DID IT  MAMA! DID YOU SEE?!"

And my heart melts, and I shout back, "I DID SEE! YOU DID IT!! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!" Because I did see, and I am so proud. I've never been prouder of him, of us, of this life we live.

4 comments :

  1. Isn't that sweet! I'm glad your weather is mild. Ours isn't bad either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post and you are an awesome mom. Letting go is the right (but oh so hard) thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Robyn, this warmed the cockles of my heart! Warm greetings to you and your lovely family, from the blizzardy tops of the mountains in the French Alps. X

    ReplyDelete

Instagram