quick and lovely mitts

Nov 15, 2013


It's that time of year for sure - holiday knitting lists are growing by the hour for me, and while I'm happy to be busy with shop orders, I also want to gift people with wooly warmth if they want it!

In the case of my friend Casie, a pair of wool fingerless mitts (with a hat to match, coming soon!) for her to use while shooting outdoors now that the weather is cold. No fun for the fingers, but full gloves won't work for a photographer's gentle touch.

Enter the Peekaboo Mitts pattern! I've made these mitts in the past, and have always loved the results. The pattern works up faster than fast -- I made these last evening between putting Owen to bed at 8:30 and my going to bed at 11:00 -- and calls for worsted weight yarn without making mitts that are bulky. Perfection! I had enough of this olive wool in my stash that I knew I'd be able to make a non-matching set of mitts and a hat for Casie, so I cast on for the mitts first, as we did breakfast this morning.

While her hat won't show up for a few more days, I knew with a full session schedule this weekend she NEEDED to keep her hands warm! Rumor has it (via text) she hasn't taken these off since she got them this morning. That's a job well done in my book!

I've got several other friends and family members who will be receiving mitts like these in the coming weeks; I might just have to take a big "group shot" of all the mitts together before they start getting sent out! It's addictive, this pattern, that's for sure, and perfect for charity knitting as well, for those looking for a fun and easy pattern to use for charity mitts! (note: I know the yarn is wool, but none of the tiny balls I had in my stash had a label on them, so I have no idea what brand. I used approximately 80 yards for these, and the pattern says you'll use about 3oz of worsted weight wool.)

Post a Comment

Instagram